I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Jam Thumbprint Cookies

After looking over my different blog post you might get the impression that I like making jam and that is because I do and I think it is great to keep around to enjoy the flavours when the fruit is out of season.  In the summer while I am in the middle of my jamming madness there are often little bits of left over jam that wasn't enough to jar or the foam I have scraped off before canning.  I hate to waste perfectly good jam so I try to find creative ways to use the leftovers.
This year I decided to make some jam thumbprint cookies.  These cookies were a favourite in my family throughout my childhood and I had a craving for one the other day when I saw them at the market.  Like most baking I find that homemade cookies taste so much better.  So after searching through my cookbooks I found a recipe.

Jam Thumbprint Cookies 

Option 1 (Traditional)

2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
2 slightly beaten egg whites
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/3-1/2 cup of the jam of your choice
  1. Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
  2. Add the sugar and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
  3. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla.
  4. Beat in as much flour as you can and then stir in the remaining flour.  
  5. Cover and refrigerate the dough for about 1 hour.
  6. Grease the cookie sheet and preheat the oven to 373 F.
  7. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls.  Roll the balls in egg whites, then in walnuts.  Place them 1 inch apart on the cookie sheet.  Press you thumb into the centre of each ball.
  8. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
  9. Just before serving fill the centres with jam just before serving.

Option 2 (My family's preference)

As kids we always preferred these cookies to be made with a sugar cookie recipe and the jam to be put in before the baking.  I definitely suggest trying it this way at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment