I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Friday 20 July 2012

Leek Tarts

I didn't discover the versatility of leeks until the past few years.  Before I didn't really use them for anything but soups, but as I have explored cook books and tried out new recipes I have found many new ways to use them.  I still have a couple recipes that I am still waiting to try.  This year I didn't have much success growing them but I hope next year will be better so I will have a better supply to experiment with.
Last Christmas I was given a mini pie maker and I love how easy it is to use.  It only takes between 8 - 10 minutes for me to make four pies.  If I know I will like a recipe for the filling I am making I will often make a double or a triple batch so I can freeze the rest to enjoy for lunches or dinner on nights when I do not have time to make a healthy meal.
I came across this recipe through a google search and I found it very straight forward to prepare.  I will give the recipe so you can make it as a regular tart in the oven because I am sure that few people actually have a mini pie maker.
One time I made it with leeks and onions because I didn't have enough leeks around to satisfy the what I needed.  The onion substitute worked out great!

Leek Tart

5 medium leeks
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt plus more to taste
1/2 -3/4 cup half-and-half or cream
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe tart crust
1/2-3/4 cup freshly shredded cheese - parmesan, gruyere or similar

  1. Preheat oven to 375. Clean the leeks by removing the root end and dark green leaves, halve them lengthwise and cut them into thin slices.
  2. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.  Add the leeks and sprinkle them with salt. Stir occasionally while cooking the leeks until they are very tender, about 10 minutes.
  3. Add the cream (or half-and-half).  Reduce the heat to low and let it cook to blend the flavours and reduce the liquid for about 5 minutes.  Take it off the heat and stir in the pepper.  Taste it and add more seasonings if you wish.
  4. Lay crust in a 9-inch round tart pan and spread the leek mixture so it forms and even layer.  Sprinkle it with the cheese.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes or until it is golden and bubbly.
  6. Let it sit for a while before cutting into it.  Serve it at your preferred temperature.
The original recipe can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment