I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Wednesday 25 July 2012

White Wine Fava Beans

This year is the first year that I have grown fava beans and broad beans so I have looked around for some different recipes to try.  I was excited when I saw this one because I love the flavour of white wine in cooking.
Making this is a little time consuming because of shelling and skinning  the beans but in my opinion it is worth it because it tastes amazing.

White Wine Fava Beans

2 1/2 lb unshelled fava beans
salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Few lettuce leaves, cut into chifonade
1/2 cup dry white wine
salt and freshly ground pepper
  1. Remove the beans from the pods.
  2. Boil a pot of salted water, once the water is boiling add the beans in for 30 seconds only (if they are in longer the will be mushy once the dish is ready).  Drain and transfer into a bowl of cold water.
  3. Slit the outer skin with your finger nail or a knife and pop out the beans.  Discard the outer skins.
  4. Heat the oil in a covered skillet and sauté the onion over medium heat until it is tender.
  5. Add the garlic, beans, and lettuce and cover.  Allow to cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
  6. Add the wine, cover and cook until the beans are tender.  Season with salt and pepper then serve.
The original recipe can be viewed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment